Our quick, cheap, and incredibly easy last minute meal of choice was Stuffed Yellow and Orange Peppers.
Ingredients (makes 4):
4 bell peppers, assorted colors
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup couscous
2 Tbsp (approx) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tomato, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 cup feta cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Boil broth.
3. Add couscous and stir together.
4. Take pot of couscous off heat and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil in separate pan.
6. Add onions, herbs, and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Cut off tops of peppers and remove seeds. (Optional: Because we try to use as much of the produce as possible, we used the small bits of pepper near the top and added them to the vegetables)
8. Mix couscous with vegetables. Add feta cheese.
9. Add mixture to peppers.
10. Bake peppers for 15 mins.
11. Garnished with parsley and serve.
We love this dish because it is very versatile and is a great fridge/pantry cleaner. You can add olives, other hearty vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, etc.), or use other grains (orzo, rice, etc.). What are your stuffed pepper variations?